Chicago — DANK Haus German American Cultural Center has completed a
nearly year long restoration of both a large scale oil painting from the
late 1800’s as well as its elaborate frame. During the restoration process,
it was discovered that the frame was actually original to the painting,
created in Berlin by the royal frame builders, Georg and Otto Alberty. The
painting was completed in 1877 by artist Paul Bulow. Paul Bulow, born in
Berlin, was the Imperial court painter, and most likely secured many
official commissions, although his works rarely appear on the market. His
short career ended when he died at the age of 47. The piece was in the
collection of the Germania Club in Chicago.
Visitors will enjoy documentation of the process as well as conversations
with the artisans involved.
The work will be on permanent display and visitors may enjoy the work during
regular hours or by appointment.
The permanent collection of the DANK Haus German American Cultural Center
serves as an educational resource for the preservation of German American
culture for the general public.
Donations towards the conservation of the permanent collection are welcome.
DANK Haus German American Cultural Center is a registered 501(c) 3,
donations are fully tax deductible.
The Center is located ½ block from the Western Brown Line stop.
This program is partially supported by Air Berlin, now with nonstop
flights from Chicago to Berlin.
About the DANK Haus German American Cultural Center
The DANK Haus, located in Chicago’s German home, Lincoln Square, represents
Chicagoland’s largest ethnic group, their friends and families and the
community in general. The DANK Haus conducts German language classes for
children and adults, a research library and the DANK Museum. Core
programming such as Kino, German Cinema Now, Cooking Classes, Oktoberfest,
regular Fine Art installations, literary readings, classical and traditional
musical performances and Sylvester Ball on New Year’s Eve add to the rich,
cultural heritage celebrated at DANK Haus.